Saturday, August 4, 2012

Squatter's Radio From Hell - Red As Hell Ale

This is a beer that I must admit I was hesitant to try. I mean, I like Radio From Hell (KXRK Provo FM 96.1). But naming a beer after a morning show on a radio station seemed a bit gimmicky.

The graphic novel style label adds to the gimmicky feel... at least to me.

I do like Squatter's Beers too.  As I stated in one of my previous posts, Squatters is one of the local breweries that I think has vastly improved their brewing with the recent change in Utah law that allows greater than 4.0 ABV beers to be sold at the brewery.

With that said, This is actually quite a good beer. I do enjoy Irish Red Ales and this one doesn't disappoint. It clocks in at 5.5% ABV in a 750 mL bottle.


The bad part of a 750 mL bottle is that I generally don't want to drink that much beer in a night. On the other hand, it's perfect for splitting two or three ways.

On the third hand, this is the first 750 mL bottle that takes a standard sized bottle cap, which means I can bottle homebrew in it at take it to parties with a couple litter swingtops.

The hop level is very subtile and complementary of it's rich maltiness. Plenty of caramel and light hints of fruitiness.

I'm not sure of the hop varieties used. They seem like English varieties, but I suppose some of the fruitiness could be coming through because of something like Citra, Calypso, or Williamette.

The color on this beer, though, is absolutely amazing. I've had Red Ales that are rustic and deep copper colored but I've never had anything that was this crimson without it having been fermented with fruit.

By the way, next time, I'm pretty sure I can drink the full 750 mL of this in one sitting. It is that smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment