Saturday, September 22, 2012

Spaten Optimator Dopplebock

It's nice to be drinking a dark German beer made in Germany (Yes I know it's an InBev-Lowenbrau beer -> it's the nostalgia of it). Now if I can only get the opportunity to take it one step further: drink a German beer, made in Germany, while being in Germany...

First of all, I hate foil wrapped beers. I'm always paranoid that foil crumbs will get in the bottle.  They always leave me asking, "Why? What purpose does it serve?"

I know, it is very, very pretty.  And, of course, that is why I drink beer.

No, not really.

I don't much like corked beers either. But that's another discussion for another day.

For me, drinking the Optimator reminded me of chilling with my friends at a beer tent in the late fall or early spring, when our city would have their city fests.  The aromas and the music come back to me.  Even though it is a dopplebock, the flavor reminds me of schwartzlager.

This is a dark, ruby-brown dopplebock. A lot of roasty, dark chocolate flavors come through with no bitterness and no hints of coffee.

I not sure of the hops in it. I'm guessing noble hops. Maybe Saaz, because I'm getting a little woody & spiciness.  But the hops are a complementary flavor (not dominating), as you would expect from bock.

No comments:

Post a Comment