Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Uinta Brewing - Hazel Amber Wheat Ale

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this beer before. I drink it a lot because I like to buy Uinta's variety 12-pack.

I'm a proponent of Ambers as a nice balance between hoppy and malty beers. I'm also a proponent of mixing styles. however, I find that an amber wheat ale is a odd duck.

Instead of being a strong "I am different" statement, it seems to be a beer that is unsure of what it wants to be.

The maltiness is slightly negated by the creaminess of the wheat.

The hops are there, but appropriate to the style, are not strong. I'm guessing a mild c-hop.



The beer doesn't pour with much head, which is odd for a wheat, but it does lace down the glass.

Probably the most outstanding thing about the beer is the pleasant orangy-brown color.

Not an offensive beer, but certainly not a spectacular one.

On a side note: what is it with organic beers? 1) why do brewers make them and 2) do people go out of their way to drink them?

There are some things that might be worth buying organic. Anything with a high water content, for instance: melons, lettuce, etc. If it has a high water content, some soluble pesticide in it. But wheat and barley are not high in water content.

Hops, unless wet & fresh, are dehydrated, which would drive off a lot of residual pesticide.

The other two ingredients: yeast & water.

So what are you gaining with organic beer?

Seems awfully gimmicky to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment